FXpansion Geist is an award-winning software drum sampler, sequencer and loop mangler. Since it’s release in 2010 it has become the go-to plugin for creating and processing beats.
Click this link and grab the Lite version [We've been told it's been taken off the fxpansion site. You can find it included with some issues of Computer Music Magazine.]. The lite version has some features disabled but it is still a very fun, inspiring and useful tool to use in REAPER for electronic music production.
The Lite version features:
- loading of any audio samples or loops to 16 pads
- multiple layers per pad
- automatically chop audio in to slices and loops
- Sequencing of 12 patterns within the excellent sequencer
- mixing and effects for individual pads and globally
- Sampling and resampling.
- 100MB sample and loop library
What you don’t get:
- 8 engines with Scenes and Song arrangement mode
- Standalone and RTAS versions
- 16 stereo outputs
- 24 patterns per engine
- Layer mixer
- Up to 6 FX per layer/pad/engine
- Overloud Breverb reverb built-in
- Full sampling functionality
- MIDI output for VST/standalone versions
- Pattern audio/MIDI export
- Full 2GB factory content library
I’ve been playing around with Geist Lite for a week now and it is a ton of fun, and there is a ton you can do with it. The included sample library is only 100MB but covers a lot of genres and styles, and since any audio can be loaded in easily, I don’t find this to be a limitation. The sample browser is quite good, really nice compared with what I deal with in KONTAKT. I LOVE the sequencer, but the lack of MIDI export is just about to drive me to buying the upgrade to full version. Speaking of upgrading, Geist Lite provides a
discounted upgrade cost, only $125 US [no longer available].
Geist Lite is definitely worth checking out if you work with samples, loops or electronic music.